The foxtail plant is a hidden danger to pets. Once inhaled, the barbed seeds of these common grass-like plants can travel through your pet’s respiratory system, where they become lodged in place, causing internal damage. Foxtails can also become embedded in the skin, eyes and ears, or enter the digestive tract. The shape of seed means that it is gradually forced deeper into tissue, traveling throughout a pet’s body, creating abscesses, damaging tissue, and spreading bacteria. Internalized foxtails may migrate to vital organs, causing major damage and even death.

Symptoms of foxtail ingestion may include violent sneezing episodes, bloody discharge from eyes or nose, head shaking, limping, painful lumps and draining wounds. If you suspect your dog or cat may be affected, contact us immediately. The foxtail(s) will be located and removed quickly to minimize the damage.